Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy (9mos)ripped open his food bag and ate way too

Customer Question

My puppy (9mos)ripped open his food bag and ate way too much. He was throwing up and pooping constantly yesterday and this morning we woke up too more poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Ralphie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ralphie?
Customer: He has allergies so he takes benadryl and he's on a diet with limited ingredients. He seems bright and perky but won't stop pooping. He's not bloated
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How many hours ago did he have this?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He ate all of that food about 24-36 hrs ago. He's drinking like crazy, but hasn't thrown up since yesterday. His gums are pink, no sign of tenderness or bloat and is very playful
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't need to call
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad to hear that Ralphie has been so lucky here.

Sometimes we will see severe gut pain, gut twists, pancreatitis, and even blockage form these situations. So, he is a very lucky boy.

Though in regards ***** ***** feces, that isn't unexpected. He has overwhelmed his intestine, so it cannot possibly digest all he has eaten. This means we do tend to see increased fecal output for up to 72 hours after an overindulgence like this. So, there is nothing wrong with that even if it is a bit inconvenient. So, we'd need to let this run its course. If he hasn't fecal control, then we do need to restrict to an easy to clean area. Of course, if his stool is loose, you can add canned pumpkin or mix 0.25tsp Metamucil into some canned food to firm the stools without causing any harm (where we'd not want to use anti-diarrheals since we nee d him passing this excess food). That will slow what he passes but firm it to avoid secondary dehydration. And of course, since he isn't bloated now, we do need to let him drink and can even give Pedialyte (to replace the electrolytes that will have been lost to the dry food) to prevent dehydration for him.

Overall, his lack of serious signs is great news for Ralphie. Though at this stage, he is passing all that excess food and we do need to let him do so. Therefore, we want him somewhere easy to clean but if he is very loose we can firm this with increased dietary fiber as noted and can offer Pedialyte to settle his electrolytes after his risky overeating.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that's great!! How long should I withhold food?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His stools are a little soft, but no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Ah, good I am glad to hear that it isn't runny (sometimes they can be very loose in these situations) but we can still use fiber as needed to firm that for him. As well, you could also use OTC probiotics (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to just support those good gut bacteria that he has bombarded with this over eating. And in regards ***** ***** food, we usually just do that for the first 24 hours and then restart at a half sized meal and work up from there. So, since he is young and since he hasn't vomited today, we can just skip to the half sized meals for a day or two and then wean up as everything settles down.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You too!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

:)

All the best,

Dr. B.