Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a guinnea pig. She is just over a year old. She

Customer Question

I have a guinnea pig. She is just over a year old. She started off with one or two tiny scabby areas but now they are everywhere. Have taken her to a vet that specializes in small/ exotic animals and they said they cannot figure out what it is. They have done scrapings and they say everything comes back fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name?
Customer: Penny She is my grandson's pet. She is so well cared for. We spare no expense in getting her the best food, organic raw veggies
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: She has been to the vets twice. They put her on antibiotics for two weeks. The raw and scabby areas have still multiplied. Brought her back last night to the vet and they still say they don't know what it is and put her on 2 more antibiotics just so the sores won't get infected. Did another scraping but found nothing. Penny was a very lovable very vocal pig for the first month they had her. Three weeks ago is when these scabby thing started appearing. They have only had her since November 18. The last two days she has stopped eating and has lost 110 grams in only 2 weeks
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Penny. Can you tell me, please, if a fungal culture has been performed as well as those skin scraping? If she's isn't intensely pruritic (itching) mites such as the common Trixocaris caviae are very unlikely to be the cause of those scabs. Pyodermas (bacterial skin infections) are uncommon but guinea pigs, like most mammals, are susceptible to fungal infection. Purebred Teddy and Teddy Satin guinea pigs appear to be the most susceptible to fungal infections whixch present with scaly, patchy. lesion on the face, feet, and dorsum. These skin lesions are usually circular areas of alopecia with inflamed and sometimes crusty edges; they're also pruritic.