Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 10 lb bichon fries has a warm nose and her rear legs are

Customer Question

my 10 lb bichon fries has a warm nose and her rear legs are shrivering. She wasn't resting as usual on our bed upstairs nor did she seem to want go out about 11-12 pm her usual time. I can't think of anything she ate or snuck ate that would do this. Her partner another bichon is fine. She ate her dinner as usual hungry about 5pm.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: You missed it bichon fries....small fluffy white dogs
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: She is quivering at her hips, didn't want her midnight pupcorn snack which she usually can't wait to get. Her nose is warm. This is a dog a bichon fries.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: digest what?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: shes about 8 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Bella is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is acting unusually and is shivering makes me think that it is possible that Bella is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Bella to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.