Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He's passing bloody urine won't eat or drink and has gone

Customer Question

He's passing bloody urine won't eat or drink and has gone very thin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Syrian hamster
JA: OK. What is the Syrian hamster's name and age?
Customer: Ali and 1&1/2
JA: How old is Ali?
Customer: 19months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ali?
Customer: He used to be very acti
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know what to do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Ali!!

If he is passing blood in his urine, has weight loss, and most importantly is anorexic; we have a serious situation here. Hamsters are not designed to be off food and can be high risk for gut stasis, dehydration, and of course the weight loss you are seeing. Furthermore, if here is blood loss in the urine, this raises worries of bladder infections but also bladder stones or tumors. And I have to warn you that any blood loss in animals this small can quickly lead to dangerous anemia. So, we need to be proactive for Ali.

In this case, we'd want him seen urgently for assessment to make sure we don't have a bladder tumor lurking. As well, we'd want his vet to start antibiotics, fluids, +/- hamster safe pain relief if needed. As well, they can dispense a hamster appropriate food (ie Oxbow, Supreme Recovery) for you to syringe feed. And these will give us the best chance of getting him thorough this.

Of course, any delay and you need to start supportive care. Specifically, we may need to put him onto a heating pad (with close monitoring against overheating) to keep his temperature stable. As well, if he isnt' eating and drinking, you will need to tempt or syringe feed him. You can offer favorites but otherwise we can syringe veggie baby food with his pelleted diet crushed into it. For fluids, we can flavour his water with fruit juice to encourage him to drink. Otherwise, we'd need to syringe Pedialyte or diluted Gatorade (dilute 50/50 with water). Dose-wise, he needs 4.8ml per 100 grams of his weight over 24 hours.

Overall, Ali sounds in a serious state and we need to be proactive here to give him a chance to overcome this. Therefore, we'd want to start the above now to see if we can get food/fluids into him but would want his vet to check for the above and treat to help him survive this.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet and wish to find one near you, by checking here the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/), or via http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ . Also many of the UK vet schools (ie Edinburgh, Bristol, RVC, etc.) will either have an exotics vet on site or will have ties to one that they can refer you to (ie. Glasgow). As well, you can check here http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't got the money to take him ��
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

If you do not have the funds to take him in, then you need to start the above I outlined but need to consider charity options. If you are on benefits, I would note that you may be eligible to take Ali to the PDSA (LINK). Otherwise, you need to ring the RSPCA (LINK) for help. The latter has subsidized hospitals that you can take him to. Otherwise, if you aren't near one, they can advise you on options the local branch can provide.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.