Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

😊, I have a cat who has an issue with sore hocks like a

Customer Question

Hello 😊
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a cat who has an issue with sore hocks like a rabbit would have. She had severe frostbite years ago which lead to her tendons snapping so she walks like a bunny with her hind legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She hates bandaging after I had to bandage her legs for 5 months. I'm a vet tech and looking to find solutions to prevent this from happening
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures and video of your concern?

Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a loss on what to do to help her. Been dealing with this for the past 4 yrs and really need a serious solution

Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No medications and the site won't let me attach pictures ��
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Oh wait it worked. I'll send another too. Her left foot is the main problem and has always been.

Poor girl. Has she been in bandages up to this point? Can you share a video of how she walks, I'd like to get an idea for how these areas have become so raw.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No she hasn't been bandaged for a couple years now. The frost bite was so bad it went all the way to her bone showing so the fur will never come back. She opened up the callus that was in that spot a couple weeks ago. Tried bandaging it again but she absolutely hates it. I would like to find some sort of boots for her to wear just not sure where I can find them. She is sleeping right now so no video at the moment.

Send a video along when you are able. There's no time limit on our discussion.

Has any type of laser therapy been considered for the calloused areas?

While waiting for the video, I am going to do some research for you. It is sounds like she is fully able to use both rear legs but in a hopping fashion, is this correct?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I haven't done laser therapy just yet. I have one at work I can use on her just need to bring her in this week. Fully ab?

I think that's one good place to start but may not be the entire solution. No doubt, it's offered great progress for wounds as substantial and worse than her own. And it absolutely cannot hurt anything.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok I will! Thanks. If you know of a place I can get booties I'd love to know

After seeing the video, if I can't find the right place I will get you in contact with someone who can help you. Even if you have to go with a prosthesis company, many of them do custom work for handicapped pets. Her situation is likely just going to take some finesse due to her limitations AND her ability to be active. Give her assistance without hindering her abilities, as it were :)

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. Any luck with the video?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Not yet. Been crazy busy with work so get home late. I'm bringing her in tomorrow for the laser and to see if my vet can help too.

Excellent. Keep me posted if you need more help.