Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

A koi pond with 30 koi came with our house a year ago, and

Customer Question

A koi pond with 30 koi came with our house a year ago, and one of them (very large) is sick. it is bloated and just sits still at the bottom. the bloated is getting more severe. Not many koi experts in the area and none opened on weekends.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Koi?
Customer: It was laying still yesterday but open eyes and moving fins. Looked bloated. Today the bloating is larger.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the Koi. What is the Koi's name and age?
Customer: no name and i dont know age. estimate it is ten pounds.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about and?
Customer: Again it is in a pond with about thirty koi ranging from 2 -20 pounds.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Is the fish bloated all over, or only in one part of its body?

Are any of its fins sticking up, giving it a pine cone like appearance?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response. Not the fins are not protruding. I consulted another person and I feel we have it understood.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.
That's a good sign that the fins are not protruding. I was concerned that the fish might have dropsy, which is very difficult to treat. Some causes of bloating without scales protruding include constipation, swim blade disorder, and egg retention. Regardless of what is wrong, I recommend treating the pond with aquarium/pond salt. Use one teaspoon per gallon of water. Salt helps fish cope with stress, so is good for almost any illness. If you think the fish may have constipation or swim bladder disorder, also feed it a few thawed out and peeled frozen peas. Even though the weather is cooling and we don't want to feed a lot, the peas can help with those two problems.You didn't say what you figured out, but I hope that, no matter what, your fish will recover. If I can help in any other way, just let me know.Anna