Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I woke up this morning to find my daughters pet rabbit dead.

Customer Question

Hi I woke up this morning to find my daughters pet rabbit dead. some blood in the pen but no lesions on the body
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: clover...she was 9months old
JA: What is the rabbit's name?
Customer: Clover
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Clover?
Customer: She did have ear mites which were being treated.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

My condolences for your loss of Clover. In my experience sudden deaths in rabbits are most often due to fear and resultant cardiac arrhythmias (ventricular tachycardia - fast irregular heart rate, mainly). The finding of blood is likely due to her trying to chew her way out of her enclosure. Please review this lay site concerning sudden death in rabbits: https://pethelpful.com/rabbits/What-Are-The-Causes-Of-Sudden-Death-In-Rabbits

A few of the causes mentioned on that site can be dismissed out of hand. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.