Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Oranda Goldfish. Her head has a slight looking film over it.

Customer Question

Oranda Goldfish. Her head has a slight white looking film over it. She developed little white bumps on her wen. I rubbed my finger over it and white runny fluid ran from the little white place. It looks like there are some red dots on top of her head and look like holes but I'm not sure. No appetite much. On her side it looks like she lost some scales.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: 6 months old her name is sassy.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about sassy?
Customer: I do have her in a hospital. I've been doing water changes and added salt 1 tsp per gallon. And melafix
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 23 days ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear that Sassy isn't doing well. The steps you have taken are good ones, but the symptoms make me wonder about the water. The next step would be to test the water. Get a test kit that uses test tubes and chemicals you add to water samples. The kind that uses paper strips is inaccurate. Once you can test the water, check your main tank and the hospital. Let me know the results in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia and nitrites.A photo of Sassy would also help me figure out what is wrong. To upload a picture, click on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.After I know your test results and can look at Sassy's picture, I'll be better able to help. I'll watch for your reply. Thank you.Anna
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you Anna. I did have our water checked about a week ago and it was good. I also keep a close eye on the ph. But I'll check it again to be on the safe side. Thank you
Expert:  Anna replied 23 days ago.
You're welcome. Thank you for getting back to me. If you had a pet store test the water for you, they probably used a paper test strip. The results can be very off. Giving the results as normal or good is misleading. The truth is that the only result good enough for goldfish is zero ammonia and zero nitrite. Even a little bit of either of thes chemicals suppresses the immune system and makes illnesses more likely. Larger amounts can kill outright. I am concerned because some of Sassy's symptoms are consistent with a water problem. Goldfish can adjust to a large range of pH, so it isn't often a problem.If your water has no ammonia or nitrites and the pH is between 6.5 and 8.5, then we have to assume Sassy has an actual illness. The white film is often a symptom of either ammonia toxicity or a bacterial infection. The red on her skin can indicate ammonia or parasites. Scale loss can indicate any number of serious problems. This is why I would like to see a photo.The water changes, salt, and Melafix will help with many diseases. If Sassy doesn't get better within a few days, we will have to do some more detective work. If you get new test results, please let me know.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 21 days ago.

Hello again,

How is Sassy doing now?

Anna