Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have a female clownfish that is sick and was wondering how

Customer Question

Hello, I have a female clownfish that is sick and was wondering how should I go about getting her checked out?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the fish?
Customer: she is less active, not swimming much
JA: Where does the fish seem to hurt?
Customer: not sure how to figure that out but she used to swim around the tank a lot and now she is remaining in one area
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: she has white slimy film shedding off
JA: What is the fish's name?
Customer: Ocellaris clown fish we call her Cheri
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Cheri?
Customer: had her for a year and a half
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 21 days ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear that Cheri is ill. That white slime you see is very worrisome. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.Have you tested the water? If so, what numbers in parts per million (ppm) did you get for ammonia and nitrites? If you haven't tested the water, that will be the first step.Are there other fish in the tank? If so, are all of them fine?Thank you.