Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

A 5 or 6 month old semi feral cat, I have fed this cat and

Customer Question

hello pearl
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a 5 or 6 month old semi feral cat
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: I have fed this cat and its 3 brothers since after their mother weaned them. they have lived in my carport
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: 2 days ago I noticed all of the hair missing from his tail! It was stripped bare. it is bleeding a little bit toward the top
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: no
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 26 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 26 days ago.

Hi again,

I'm sorry your kitten's tail is in this state. From your description, it sounds like he either pulled all the fur off his tail due to discomfort, external parasites or stress, or he was in a cat fight and this was the result. If he spends time outdoors with his brothers, he could have been in a cat fight or he could have tried to get through a space that was too narrow for his tail and something scraped off the fur.

I'd definitely recommend an in person evaluation by a vet, so an antibiotic can be prescribed, to avoid infection, and for now, if it's bleeding slightly towards the top, you can gently clean there and the entire tail with Betadine scrub (diluted with water to the color of light tea), then pat dry and where it's bleeding, apply a thin film of plain Neosporin (NOT with 'pain relief'); it's not harmful if he licks it.

I hope all will be well with your kitten and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest wishes,

Cher