PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My rabbit gave birth 26 hours ago I am afraid is still born

Customer Question

Hi my rabbit gave birth 26 hours ago I am afraid is still born I have tried putting it under running water for 15 minutes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your rabbit?
Customer: She gave birth to only 1 kit And i am afraid is still born I prepared a towel Warm towel with the mother's fur
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your rabbit?
Customer: The mouth area of the kit turn a little green The belly is shrunken And now it is bleeding a little
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am so sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion doing at this current time? Any changes?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
My rabbit gave birth to just 1 kit and i only discovered the following morning. I assume that she might have given birth during the night. Upon researching, i have tried covering the kit with the rabbit's fur n using a vey hot towel. Unfortunately there are no movements till now. Its been 26 hours already. Now i can see something green around the mouth area of the kit. And there is little bleeding from the tummy area. It its grey n pale. Is it dead?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
However the toenail quick is pinkish white. Does it mean it is still alive?

Is the baby cold?

Have you heard any squeaking?

When you move the limbs, is the baby stiff or flaccid?

Is the mother interested in caring for him?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The baby feels warm because of the heat of the towel
No squeaking at all
The head part is stiff but the body is flaccid.
The mother just see the baby for few seconds and runs away.
I tried to put the mother and baby togethwr for a night. Next morning it remained the same. The mother didnt eat the kit

At 26 hours, if the baby is not moving and isn't squeaking, the mother is refusing it and it is grey, it's most likely that the little one was stillborn.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Okay thank you so much

You are very welcome. I am so sorry this situation did not have a better outcome.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Its alright (: i just needed opinion. The mother is agitated and does not want to come out from the cage at all. Is that normal? Also, do i have to change its diet ?

If she doesn't have any young to raise, no, she can go right back to her normal habits. Due to losing a baby, yes, I would expect the mother to be agitated. But if this continues, an exam and x-rays may be needed to confirm that mom doesn't have more babies she is having difficulty delivering.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Oh alright. But she looks like she went back to her normal size. Another question is, is it safe to sterilize the female rabbit? Or the male rabbit

Yes, and it's recommended. Rabbits make better pets when altered. More info here: http://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Alright thank you for your time (:

Happy to help.

I have opened the thread of rating, if you would be so kind.