Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a trypacel bottom or alge sucker laying on back for 3

Customer Question

i have a trypacel bottom or alge sucker laying on back for 3 days now bellie looks bloted can make it move by toching it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the sucker. What is the sucker's name?
Customer: i dont know what ciand it is it is 12 to14 in. long black allagator type back sucker mouth to hold to sids of tank flat belle wiskers that look like a tree with no leaves
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the sucker?
Customer: i can not think of any thing
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
my phone is a home can not receve text email will work
Expert:  Anna replied 26 days ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of that your fish is sick.

This species is more sensitive than many other fish to water quality, so the first step is to test the water. If you have already done that, please give me the numbers in parts per million (ppm) for ammonia and nitrites. If you don't have a test kit, get one that uses test tubes and chemicals you add to water samples, not the paper strips you dip in the water.

Also, are any other fish in the tank behaving abnormally?

After I have this information, we'll try to figure out how to help your fish.

Anna

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i just went an changed water completly an cleaned tank yesterday no chang
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
the outher fish are fine a gold fish an osker the sucker an oscer are 12 to 15 years old
Expert:  Anna replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. The average life expectancy for the sucker fish (plecostomus) is 10 to 15 years. I feel bad to have to tell you this, but I believe you deserve honesty. Your fish is probably suffering complications of old age, and is nearing the end of his life. If you would like to know how to humanely end his suffering, let me know, and I will give you the best way.

Anna