Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My son, My son's winter hamster is cold, shaking, and walks

Customer Question

My son
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My son's winter white hamster is cold, shaking, and walks in a circle. He is maybe 8-9 months old.
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is nothing on his foot. And his eyes are half open
JA: What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Skye
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Skye?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Is he circling in one direction?

Any head tilting?

Any chance of a fall or injury?

Is Skye eating or drinking?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Started yesterday. Yes circling in one direction. Yes sometimes his head tilts to one side. No fall or injury and yes he is eating and drinking as of yesterday. Haven't seen him eat yet today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now given Skye's signs, we do have a few concerns. Its good we can rule out head trauma, but this means we'd have to be most concerned about a middle ear infection or brain based lesion (ie bleed, swelling, infection or mass). All can come on without warning and just to note the direction he is circling suggests the side of the brain the lesion is on.

Furthermore, if he is walking in circles compulsively and not eating/drinking now, he will be risking a blood sugar decline and this can lead to the chill you noted, shaking, and eventually collapse. Therefore, you will want to try to tempt him to eat/drink or even gently syringe feed him Pedialyte or a bit of sugary syrup (ie maple, karo, or glucose syrup) to boost that blood sugar. Otherwise, given those concerns I noted, we'd also want to have him checked by his local vet as soon as we are able. They can narrow our concerns here and start hamster safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to counter as many of these concerns as possible and help wee Skye.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm. If you are struggling, then also check @ http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/ as these vets usually will see pocket pets as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )