Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Cockatiel had an accident last week landing in a frying

Customer Question

My Cockatiel had an accident last week landing in a frying pan. Seems she only burnt her foot. Had her to vet who stopped the bleeding and can her antibiotic and pain med. Today her foot appears to be swollen and infected. I'm reading that I should bath her fot in warm water and keep it clean. Any other advice?
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Have there been any changes in appearance or diet?
Customer: No changes in appearance or diet.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: She is not using the one foot like she should.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

The poor dear!

Burns can be very serious and can have delayed complications like we are seeing here. Now hopefully she is still on the antibiotics and the pain relief. If she isn't, you will need to ring her vet urgently so that further medication can be dispensed to reduce that swelling and counter that infection. If it is quite raw, then you may also need them to bandage and topically treat this burn to help it to heal. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question about bathing the foot, it can be soaked in warm water or saline (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). Both will keep it clean but saline is better for reducing bacterial populations. If she will allow we'd want her to stand with this foot in a little bowl of water for 10-15 minutes twice to three times a day. And of course, we'd want to again have her on antibiotics and strong bird safe anti-inflammatories to treat the infections and swelling from the inside out and help her heal from this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.