Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My 13 yr old is drinking and peeing excessively. He also is

Customer Question

my 13 yr old is drinking and peeing excessively. He also is crying out like he is in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a coonhound male, Louie..the love of my life
JA: OK. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the coonhound's name?
Customer: Louie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Louie on any medication?
2) Any difficulty walking or getting up?
3) When did he last have blood work run?
4) Any weight loss?
5) Is he able to pee freely when he goes? No stop-and-start efforts or repeated squats?
6) What is he doing when he vocalizes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he was on keflex but I took him off that a couple of days ago. He has a little difficulty but nothing out of the normal. He had bloodwork done a year ago. no weight loss. he is able to pee freely. He is laying down when he cries. It's like he can't get comfortable.

I suspect that the vocalizations you're hearing are due to pain and likely secondary to arthritis, which is very common in dogs over 10 years of age and can be confirmed with x-rays. Due to his excessive thirst and urination, it would be wise to have the blood work and a urinalysis rechecked to ensure no kidney disease is present, no diabetes, etc. So long as this is ruled out, your vet can then place him on a trial of canine-safe NSAIDs like Rimadyl and pain medication, if needed, like Tramadol. This should begin to help within 6-12 hours to reduce the discomfort he is experiencing. It would also be worthwhile to start a joint supplement like glucosamine.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, Sara. How is your companion?