Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a pure bred devon rex blue short haired male. he is

Customer Question

i have a pure bred devon rex blue gray short haired male. he is very affectionate and i love him...he has loose stools and is really crazy. i will fully clean both extra large litter boxes,,,and he will still pop right in front of them,,,or on something else..what is going on?
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you had Angelo?
2) When did the diarrhea start?
3) What food are you feeding at this time?
4) Where did Angelo come from, can you tell me more about his story?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
10 years
2 yrs
science diet sensitive skin and stomach
florida from a breeder she was friends with the breeder that we got cleo a calico devon rex and jack half american short hair/rex

Are the other cats having diarrhea?

When did you acquire Angelo? Has he always had diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i got him 5 months old
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello?

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i'll wait please

It's time for some diagnostics with your vet to determine the cause of the diarrhea. If he's been on the same food and none of the other cats are sick, he may be dealing with some bacteria-related issues in his gut. With parasites, we'd expect to see the other cats having issues, too, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't afflicted with something, as well. On top of this, devons are predisposed to inflammatory conditions in the GI tract like inflammatory bowel disease which may be part of the cause of the diarrhea.

To answer your question in short, he's probably having some issues making either into the box or he's overshooting his mark with the diarrhea. It may help to place a potty pad beneath the box to give more room to avoid messes or even the plastic tray from a dog kennel (these are easily hosed out and what I used with rescue cats when they're having diarrhea).

Your vet is likely going to recommend a fecal workup including parasite screening, PCR panel and fecal culture to check for anything that shouldn't be present such as parasites, protozoan, bacteria, etc. They will likely treat with GI antibiotics like flagyl or baytril and may also recommend a high fiber food to see if this helps with his stool quality. If it does not, please feel free to stay in contact with me and I will make some recommendations in the future. My career focus is working with GI complications in purebreds, so I would be happy to offer you continued assistance if it's needed.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i'm sorry but no, i have been to the vet, he uses the box to urinate and poop,,it's frustrating. i have done all of your suggestions,,,no improvement..thanks anyway, sorry no help here

As mentioned in the information above, there's plenty more to be done. But I will need more information from you. Can you tell me what antibiotics have been tried and what foods? Have any GI biopsies been performed? Was an ultrasound of the abdomen performed as well?