Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I think my hamster had a stroke today and is now dragging

Customer Question

hi, i think my hamster had a stroke today and is now dragging his hind legs. He is energetic but his his hind legs drag. Is there exercises I can do for his hind legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound he ran in his ball like normal last night
JA: What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Apollo and a little over 2 years ole old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Apollo?
Customer: he is energetic. He pooped earlier. I gave his lettuce and some grape earlier and ate them.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and I would love to assist you.

Please give me a few mins to review the informationa dn type an answer.

Jona

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Thank-you for waiting. Usually we do see Strokes happen overnight, but when they do happen we generally do not see Hind end paralysis. With a Stroke we see it affect one side or the other and a Head tilt as a result. Apollo is a senior Citizen and what you are seeing may e a result of a spinal injury or arthritis in the spine. I have to suggest a Vet visit. They may be able to give some medication that can help reduce inflammation in the spine to see if he can recover the use of the back legs. I would in the mean time Keep Apollo as quiet as possible so he does not further irritate the spine and cause any further issues. I can locate some Rodents Vets if you need one that handles small animals and rodents.

My goal is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating. Please hit reply for questions or concerns.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan