Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My female hamster (a little over a year old) bled about 3

Customer Question

My female hamster (a little over a year old) bled about 3 days ago, either anally or vaginally. She also seemed to have a little lump on her left side under her stomach. I took her to a vet and she said it may be because she has a blockage, so she gave her some mineral oil and fluid injection, also ordered in some probiotics for her. But today when I held her, i noticed she was bleeding vaginally. Could this be UTI? and if so, what kind of antibiotic does she need?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hamster?
Customer: She hasn't had any health issues before, never gave birth, and wasn't spayed
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

When we see blood like you described it could be a UTI, or it could be a Pyometra which is a uterine infection. This is some information on Pyometra in Hamsters: http://www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=pyometra The Hamster needs to see an Exotic Vet with some Rodent knowledge. You can locate some on this site. In both blanks type member: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/vets.htm/ This may be a UTI, but with the lump on the side of the abdomen, I would have further investigation to be sure what is actually going on and start treatment. Please hit reply for questions about this information and concerns.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Checking in on your Hamster. Have you had her seen yet? What was the diagnosis?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.
Hi Armin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan