Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My rabbit cant seem to stand on her front legs i am not sure

Customer Question

hi my rabbit cant seem to stand on her front legs i am not sure what is going on she is eat and drink and using the bathroom
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: she is an indoor rabbit there is not a wound she flops to the side
JA: What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: miffy 10 years old the back legs seem to be okay
JA: How old is miffy?
Customer: 10 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about miffy?
Customer: she is a lion head rabbit she is eating and drink but it difficult
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described a paresis (weakness) or paralysis in the front limbs. This can arise from encephalitis or cervical (neck) meningitis due to many infectious agents but Encephalitizoon cuniculi in most often responsible. E. cuniculi is a microsporidium - an obligate intracellular protozoan parasite. A wide range of symptomology is possible including paresis alone - the second most common neurologic sign to the more common head tilt, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), circular movements, and nystagmus/eyes flicking back and forth (vestibular signs). Clinical means of diagnosing definitive antemortem encephalitozoonosis are limited and so we'll presumptive treat with fenbendazole at a dose of 10 mg/lb orally daily for 30 days which can result in apparent elimination of this infection. A rabbit-oriented vet can prescribe this drug and you can also find it over the counter in pet/feed stores under the name of Panacur. You can ignore the label which doesn't mention that rabbits can be administered this drug.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.