Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My boyfriends mom had a very small scabbed over cold sore

Customer Question

My boyfriends mom had a very small scabbed over cold sore and kissed my ferret on the head and im trying to figure out if it is passable it sounds stupid by I have a real phobia of cold sores.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the ferret's name and age?
Customer: he is about 5 months and his name is Peppy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Peppy?
Customer: nope he is fine I was just curious
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Herpesviruses such as that causing cold sores (HSV-1) are highly host specific and so zoonosis (spread from one species to another) isn't expected between your boyfriend's mom and your ferret. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in non-veterinar***** *****ngo it is unlikely she could have passed on the HSV-1 virus to Peppy correct?

Correct. While there are no studies involving HSV-1 in ferrets, the behavior of that virus makes the likelihood of her passing the virus to Peppy near nil.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Awesomesauce! Thank you Dr. Salkin your help is appreciated. :)

You're quite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.