Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a chicken with what I thought was eye worms, but I

I have a chicken with what I thought was eye worms, but I have been treating her with VetRx for almost a week, and she is still itching so much her poor face is bruised. in the morning her eye is closed up. I'm wondering now if she even had an eye worm. There is no swelling and very little fluid coming out of her eye. any suggestions?

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Liette, eye worms (Oxyspirura) are reported only infrequently in backyard poultry. You should be able to see them with the naked eye or an avian vet (please see here: can look for the worm eggs in her feces. They don't respond to Vet-Rx and so I usually remove them manually with a dry cotton tip applicator or dose the chicken with ivermectin which has shown efficacy in treatment of eyeworms in these birds. I need to also consider trauma, foreign body, or an infectious conjunctivitis which might respond to the over the counter antibiotic ophthalmic ointment Terrramycin available in many pet/feed stores or online such as here:

If an infectious conjunctivitis is associated with infraorbital sinus infection, it's best to treat with a systemic antibiotic such as tylosin in the form of Tylan-50 available in many feed stores or online and dosed at 20-30 mg/lb daily injected intramuscularly into the breast muscle for 5-7 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Liette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?