Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My guinea's eye seems to have been injured. I think he and

Customer Question

My guinea's eye seems to have been injured. I think he and his brother were playing, maybe a little rough. I can't drive due to my own injury. Is there something I can use from around the house? I don't want to seem casual, but would the eye just fall out on its own? I've had piggies and never had eye problems
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the guinea's name and age?
Customer: DauntlessGru. He's 1
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DauntlessGru?
Customer: I can take a pic and send it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please attach a pic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not letting me send. I've tried 17xs
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think the pic attached

This is a substantial corneal ulcer that does need to be treated. Eyes are very firmly secured within the eye socket and require a very delicate surgery to remove it. From what I can see, this does look like it needs to be enucleated (removed). If you are not able to travel, I would consider searching for a mobile vet in the area who can come to you.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ugh. Ok. Sadly we live in a very poor county if Pa and don't have mobile availability. Vets who care for "exotics" are not close, either. I will try my hardest to get him somewhere. His appetite nor energy are effected. Unless you saw his eye you'd never know there was something wrong

Some guinea pigs are very stoic about pain, so this may be the reason to unchanged energy and appetite. This is good news as it may take some time to find someone who can help.

If you'll share what city in PA you reside, I may be able to assist finding a vet who sees GP's.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Brownsville Pa. 15417. Good luck haha

Give me about 30 minutes. Let me see what I can find. I may need the luck! lol

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks

15 mins from Brownsville, PA: http://www.fayettevet.net/id-1319

Next closest is 1 hour: http://www.pleasanthillspethospital.com

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Omggg!!!!!! Thank you!! And they help piggies?????

That's what it says online. That could be incorrect, but that's what google says. Certainly call them tomorrow and confirm.