Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chinchilla seems to be pulling at his penis ,and it is

Customer Question

my chinchilla seems to be pulling at his penis ,and it is not retracting properly .his fur also seems to be damp under his chin.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Is the penis stuck out? Is it red, inflamed, swollen, or sore?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi the penis does retract in when he stops cleaning/playing with it. He has been playing/cleaning with his penis for about two weeks, It is red have had a good look and cant see a hair ring. At this moment in time we are concerned that he is drooling and all the fur under his chin is wet. He is pulling on his fur a lot and his legs appear to be stiff. He has recently been on antibiotics for an abscess and an infection in his mouth. He lost a lot of weight, went from 0.7kg to 0.4kg, he is up at 0.435kg at the moment but is eating and drinking fine, he has vitamin C pro biotic water and used to be on Charlie chinchilla complete muesli but got very picky so switched to chinchilla pellets.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad that you have ruled out a hair ring and that he can retract the penis, since trapping of it outside the sheath tends to be an urgent issue. With that aside, I'd be concerned that he may have an underlying bladder infection, urine crystal issue or even penile inflammation that is causing him to be grooming/handling it more often. And the underlying discomfort , could also explain the fur pulling. Otherwise, I am concerned to hear that he has a wet chin despite his recent dental care. To see that now raises worries of a

recurrence of the dental abscess or possibility that it wasn't as sensitive to the antibiotic used as one would hope.

In this case and considering how delicate this species is, we'd really need him reassessed at this stage. We need to his vet to double check that infection and sample any discharge to ID the bacteria present and what drugs its sensitive to. Otherwise, he may need to also be on chinchilla anti-inflammatories for both our concerns. And if possible, we'd want his vet to take a urine sample for analysis to again check for infection but also rule out crystals. Depending on their findings there, they may need to work out which antibiotic will cover both bases but if there are crystals/stones, then we may need to modify his diet to reduce these for him and with it his penile discomfort.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )