PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have two rats sky and winter. Last week I noticed winters

Hi! I have two rats sky and winter. Last week I noticed winters eye turned like a tinted red colour it hasn't seemed to bother her too much. I've noticed today that now both eyes is now dark red. I tried to do some research and most of what I could find is a "rat cold" or a burst rd blood vessel in the eye. My other rat sky is now also showing reddish eyes too. Today they seem very lazy to their usual self. They are very sniffly as well! What do you think could it be ? Thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. What is the rat's name and age?
Customer: Winter aged 1 1/2 and sky is roughly 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winter?
Customer: Not really she hasn't had anything wrong with her before. But three weeks ago sky had an abcessed on her neck which I took her to the vet got it cleaned out and got some antibiotics (baytrill) I'm pretty sure the name is. While it was healing I separated them until it was completely healed. A week later winter had one ruby red eye. The colour has is now dark red and looks a little bit bigger than the other eye. The other eye has also now turned slightly dark red
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I have put in the option for a phone call, if you so wish. We can also continue online if that's easier. There is an additional charge with the phone call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi just wondering is it $30 deposit and then another $42 for the phone call??

Im afraid I don't have any information on billing details. I can put you in touch with customer service, but it will lock the thread.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No that's fine I'm happy to continue talking on this instead of the phone call thank u
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you received any videos I've have tried to send ?

No, it doesn't look like they posted. Can you try again? Youtube and links back in the chat are also useful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've attached them
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Videos are to large to send for some reason I can try add them to YouTube

That may be for the best. The pic I see is of a hooded black and white rat. No video yet though.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah that's winter she's the one with the really bad eye okay give me a minute I'll give it a go

No rush. I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://youtu.be/9_FnuwzgRJQ

This looks like uveitis to me, an inflammation of the vascular layer within the eye. It can happen to one eye or both. We can see some correlation between upper respiratory infection and uveitis, which may explain this sudden onset for the girls and also the sniffles you're hearing. Uveitis can be an uncomfortable condition and a respiratory problem can certainly make them feel under the weather. I would urge you to have both girls examined and another course of antibiotics started. Until that can be done, please try to dim the lights in their room and keep them off of any substrate that is flighty like wood shavings. The eye(s) may reach a point in size where the eyelids cannot close over it which can cause ulceration if bedding becomes stuck to the eye itself. The purpose of the dimmed light is to help with any light sensitivity they may be experiencing due to the uveitis.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Awesome thank you so much! I've recently started using wood sharvings because I find that it soaks up their urine better! They both seem to be hiding from the light at the moment too! I will deffantily start them on antibiotics again do you know if baytrill can be used ?

Baytril should work perfectly for both. You're quite welcome!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for your time! I might sign off soon just in case I have any more further questions

No worries. If you do, just reply to this thread. I'll be on for a little while longer and you can still reach me even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was using baytrill twice a day 0.8ml is that still fine for a course of 5-7days ?

Usually 7-10 days on Baytril but potentially longer for respiratory symptoms. They may also need prescription eye medication to bring down the inflammation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

make sure you're giving 0.08mLs as it states on the label and not 0.8mLs. At the concentration they've sent you home with, if you give 0.8mLs, it may be fatal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry !! Haha that's what I meant!

I assumed it might be but always good to check!