PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Guinea pig paralysis in hind legs, feet appear pretty clean.

guinea pig paralysis in hind legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: feet appear pretty clean. he also has diarrhea
JA: What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Name Peanut and about 2 1/2 years old.
JA: What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: his name is Peanut
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Peanut?
Customer: Back feet are curling under. appears to have normal temperature.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you owned Peanut?
2) Please tell me all that you feed Peanut.
3) What supplements, if any, are used? Links to the products are appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oxbow guinea pig pellets. Timothy hay and lots of lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, and green peppers. Sometimes a few orange sections.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I have submitted a phone call offer, JACustomer. I'll be standing by to hear back from you. If you wish to continue via discussion online, please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Continue with texting and email

Are you using any vitamin C supplements? If so, what type and how often?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Our guinea pig is actually a skinny pig and we're owned seven of them over the years
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No suppliments. You think vit C would help?

I think it's very likely that a lack of vitamin C is the problem. Although Oxbow is considered a complete diet, guinea pigs are prone to scurvy without supplementation. They need to be receiving 25-50mg of vitamin C daily and this is without exception: every guinea pig needs this. The diarrhea and the lack of using his rear legs may both be linked to a receiving too little vitamin C in the diet. You can use oral supplements made for GP's or you can use human vitamin C chewables so long as the proper amount of vitamin C is given. Do NOT use water supplements as they will not aid in any fashion toward helping Peanut.

Benefits will take a few weeks to show, so I would urge you to have Peanut examined and diagnosed by a veterinarian to be sure this is what is happening. We can also see problems in the back legs with tumors, urinary complications, etc. Skinny pigs, as compared to the haired version, tend to be more compromised in health so we may expect something abnormal to show up in even a GP this young.

If you need help finding a GP vet, please post back your city and I'll work on finding one close to you.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I were to get a vit C supplement from pharmacy tonight and give it to him orally it would be okay?

Not necessarily, which is why I have recommended a veterinary evaluation. One of the most difficult parts of work through a computer such as we are is that I cannot see your companion. I can, however, give you as much information as I have available to me about what this most likely is as far as a medical concern. IF this is scurvy, in 7-10 days you should see improvements but there does exist the chance that it's not scurvy at all and that something like a spinal tumor or another affliction could be causing the dragging of the rear legs, for example. For this reason, I would still see a vet to be sure. If this is not possible, starting the supplementation immediately would still be a wise approach to Peanut's care (and any other GP in your care, in fact).

My apologies, it appears I may have misread your question. Yes, it is safe to give a human vitamin C tablet in 25-50mg. Look for one made without artificial sweeteners.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay will do and thank you for the advice. My wife will be taking the GP to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help you any further. I hope Peanut does well.