PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My female cat - 4 years old blue point mutt has recently

My female cat - 4 years old blue point mutt has recently developed a red, swollen anus and part of her vaginal area we have an appointment with our vet on Wednesday but I notice it happened after I changed her cat litter I'm wondering if she's just allergic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Little J.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about J?
Customer: her poop is small. but she is pooping, eating and drinking she cleans herself frequently but not obsessively

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please share a clear photo of the irritation you're seeing?

Any abnormality in her stool?

What litter may have caused the irritation? Any fragrance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
her stool is small. Tidy Cats Scoop 24/7 Performance Continuous Odor Control Cat Litter, 40-lb box
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there's fragrance. I'll try to get a picture
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
before that litter we were using "Worlds Best Cat Litter" multiple cats
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's on a shelf in the closet lol. I can't get to her for a picture right now

There's no rush. You can provide the picture as soon as it is convenient for you. I will be around all day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok.

I'll keep an eye out for future posts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi, i got a picture, see attached

She does look irritated.

Unless she is squatting down directly into the litter or allowing it to touch her, the risk of a contact allergy is low. That said, there's no way to be 100% certain that this is not an allergy such as from inhaling the fragrance in the Tidy Cat litter. I would definitely consider a switch to a non-fragranced litter and perhaps even a switch back to the World's Best if that worked well for her. If you can definitively determine that this is an allergy to Tidy Cats, make sure they are informed of your findings.

Other concerns for this area might include anal gland impaction and her grooming the area causing the irritation. This would also result in smaller stools if she was unable to produce fecal matter easily due to swelling.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help.

Sure thing. Good luck!