Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog ate non bake chocolate cookies. What should I do?

Customer Question

My 5.5 year old 65 lb Vizsla, Ruedi ate non bake chocolate cookies. She ate approximately 5 tbls of dark unsweetened cocoa powder. I gave her 40 ml hydrogen peroxide 15 minutes later. It has been 20 minutes now and there is no vomiting. She is otherwise healthy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
How long ago did she eat this?
How long ago was the peroxide given?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again.

I have not heard back but as this is a time sensitive situation, I do want to leave my thoughts for as soon as you return.

Now you do have the right idea here since this is a severe toxicity dose for Ruedi. This means we could see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) but there is risk of the delayed onset (usually up to 36 hours) of breathing changes, heart arrhythmias, tremors, and even seizures.

With this in mind, if she didn’t vomit with that dose, we’d want to make sure you walked her about an moved that stomach /belly about to get things mixing. If she doesn’t vomit with that then we’d be in a position where we need to think about other interventions.

Specifically, we may need to think about having her to your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, we’d want to use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is a severe dose and I am quite concerned that Ruedi isn’t vomiting for you. Therefore, do try moving her stomach or taking her for a quick walk around the block to see if you can get her vomiting. If you cannot then we’d need to use those other options here to avoid harm for her.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/