Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Snowball got in a fight, I was not there, and did not see

Customer Question

Snowball got in a fight, I was not there, and did not see him until later, the bites are swollen, I cleaned them really well, bUT think infected
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Stafford shire terrier
JA: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the shire's name and age?
Customer: Snowball 5 years, I found abandoned in warehouse, no food or water, he was on bad shape, I ve had him a while, he's gained weight, healthy, but I've never had a dog, I've had cats, I was out of town, roomate didnt want to tell me, and wounds werent's heartbreaking, snowballs a trooper though, i know he hurts...tbhe wounds are bad can he have aspirin?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about I've?
Customer: I don't know, he's happy and healthy, just injured, I shouldn't have left with roomate, I came home and he's all beat up, and I don't know who owns the other dog...its a nightmare
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I have to note that since Snowball was in a fight and has wounds, you cannot use Aspirin. It is a blood thinner and could lead to more severe bleeding from the wounds or internally if it were to be used here. Instead, if Snowball is very sore, he will need his local vet to dispense a dog safe pain relief option (ie Metcam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc). Otherwise, I am glad to hear that you have cleansed the wounds but do plan to keep doing so 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, you can at least apply an OTC antibiotic cream but since dog mouths are so bacteria filled, we'd want his local vet to start systemic antibiotics as well to treat this from the inside out and prevent abscesses. Though in the meantime, do make sure he doesn't lick his wounds since he too can spread bacteria into them. If he tries, he may need to wear an e-collar or tsihrt depending on the location of these wounds.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.