Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

My dog has secretion from her nipples, she is 3 years old

Customer Question

My dog has secretion from her nipples, she is 3 years old almost 4 and not fixed
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: Just the secretion from her mammary glands
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to be in pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Amber
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Amber?
Customer: She is a king Charles cocker spaniel mix almost 4 years old
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are her mammaries enlarged?

When was her last heat cycle?

When was she last bred?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She has never been bred, her last heat cycle was about 2 ish months ago, we do take her to the dog park but try to keep an excellent eye on her as she is not normally friendly with other dogs, just wants to play fetch. They look slightly enlarged but not pink.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have beenergy waiting to fix her because I can't decide whether I want to breed her or not. I have been told by several vets it may calm her down and make her less aggressive or the opposite, pretty much a 50/50 chance

What color secretions are you seeing?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Same color as human colostrum, or premilk in humans

If she has definitely not been bred, this is most cycle a false pregnancy. In a false pregnancy, dogs can exhibit a wide range of behaviors from nesting to producing milk. This usually happens within 4-10 weeks following a heat cycle. Typically these resolve on their own given time, but she will have an increased risk of having more false pregnancies in the future until she is spayed. More info here:

I have yet to meet a female dog who was spayed who had worsening aggression following a spay. We often see this mellowing out. Be mindful that if she is bred, she may pass her tendency toward aggression off to her young, as well.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The vets I have talked to say it's 50/50 whether she would be less aggressive if I bred her. I personally have a hard time not letting her have a litter of puppies, just as a woman, all vets have told me it is unlikely her behavior would change at all with getting her fixed. I just want to make sure she is OK and healthy.

If you're worried, you can have her examined. I think the most likely situation for her is the false pregnancy given her symptoms, age and being intact.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She came from a pet store that basically was used as a daycare, where they set up a fence and let kids/people play with the puppies while the parents walked around the store, so she does not like kids or other people/dogs

Poor kid. She's had a rough time of it in her youth.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She definitely did and I understand why she doesn't like kids or other dogs.

Definitely sounds logical. It seems if dogs have a rough situation in their youth, they are much more apt to be reactive than otherwise.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion today? ​