How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 10475
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Pet Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog accidentally ate our toothpaste it's flouride free

Customer Question

My dog accidentally ate our toothpaste it's flouride free and all organic products
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: it is the dr. bronners all one toothpaste her name is ***** ***** she is 1year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oni?
Customer: the toothpaste contaied glycerin,aloe leaf juise,hydrated silica, calcium carbonae,xanthum gum, sodium bicarbonate, potassium cocoate, peppermint oil, menthol,coconut,dlour, coconut oil, tocopherol, citric acid,stevia
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did she ingest this?

How much did she ingest?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5 mins ago she ingested a pea sized amoutn
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. There are 3 products that can raise concerns here, but it is unlikely that she ingested any of these in a significant amount. Calcium carbonate can temporarily raise calcium levels in the blood, but that is more of a concern if it is long term or if she ingested a lot. Peppermint oil can cause some liver and kidney toxicity, but chances are that there is not enough here to be an issue. Menthol can also be toxic, but it takes A LOT in order to have signs of toxicity. Chances are she will be fine. If you want to play it on the safe side, you can give 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 5 lbs of body weight (or 1 tablespoon per 15 lbs) orally to induce vomiting. This can be repeated in 10 minutes if there is no vomiting. I probably wouldn't do it with my dog, but some people want to take all the precautions. Otherwise, just monitor for a decrease in appetite, weakness, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody stool. 1-2 episodes of vomiting and diarrhea for 36-48 hours doesn't usually bother me as long as the appetite is good. If the symptoms are worse, have her seen by your vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Related Pet Questions