Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My guinea pig cookies hasn't been pooping like a normal he

Customer Question

My guinea pig cookies hasn't been pooping like a normal he only pooped four times a day the past 3 days and he eats normal and he drinks normally you know what's wrong with him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about cookies?
Customer: He's a was a perfectly healthy guinea pig before he started doing this
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to tread with care if Cookies is passing less stool less regularly. Often this will be secondary to reduced fiber intake (where they start favoring soft foods and pelleted feed over hay). This can be selective grazing for the sake of eating what he thinks is nicer but it can also be an early stage clue of brewing dental disease. And if this continues, there is a risk of secondary slowing of the gut and stasis.

With this in mind, we need to keep a close eye on what he is eating and encourage him to have more hay. You may need to cut back on his pellets and treats to get him to do so. As well you can offer canned pumpkin, cooked/boiled pumpkin, other fiber rich veggies (ie carrot, broccoli, etc) or there are pelleted fiber rich feeds that can be used to help restore fecal regularity and also wear down his molars if they are getting a bit long. As well, if he is straining to pass stool or his stools are very hard, then you can give a very small dose of OTC cat hairball treatment to just lubricate his gut and ease passage. Of course, if you use these and he is favoring softer foods or we don't see that stool frequency getting back to normal, then a full check up would be ideal to make sure none of those aforementioned concerns are present and need to be addressed for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )