Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience in emergency, surgery and medicine

My dog has just had surgery for a mass cell cancer, but he

Customer Question

My dog has just had surgery for a mass cell cancer, but he also has an allergic condition going on. My vet would like him on children's Benadryl, but read the ingredients in the liquid and the inactive ingredients include sorbital and also saccharine sodium. I am concerned about both of these ingredients. He is a small dog, so the liquid will allow a dose appropriate to his size. Will it harm him?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: He will be on Benadryl along with several other medications for about five days.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A Chihuahua mix--11 years old---about 16 pounds.
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Chihuahua?
Customer: He just had surgery for a mass cell tumor on his groin. He also seems to have an allergic dermatitis below that site and my vet would like to see if it is indeed allergic dermatitis and not the beginning of more mass cell tumors.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Willy is his name. The tumor was sizeable and it has been sent for a biopsy which will take about five days to return.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willy?
Customer: Right now his is on pain meds and will continue on prednisone at one half twice a day for another five days and then we decrease it. He also has been put on Doxycycline because they found a tick on him that had a ring around it.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 14 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is used very commonly for the treatment of allergies and in those with mast cell tumors. The inactive ingredients are not going to cause a problem for a dog. If your vet gave you a dose of Benadryl to use, I would feel very comfortable following through with it. I will have owners using Benadryl all the time for conditions I listed above. It shouldn't be a problem with the other drugs you listed.