Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

It's my pet rat, she is stumbling when she's walking around

Customer Question

It's my pet rat, she is stumbling when she's walking around and is sleeping a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the rat. What is the rat's name and age?
Customer: She's called Nug, and she's around 1.5 years old. I've looked around it seems inner ear infection ticks most of her symptoms
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nug?
Customer: The room her cage is in is very cold at the moment. Doesn't look like she's eaten a lot today either
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Any access to toxins or change of trauma?

Does she have a head tilt?

Any changes to her breathing? Any congestion, sneezing, or coughing?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have noticed them tonight, she wasn't like this yesterday. Some sneezing when she woke up but now she's asleep again.I haven't noticed a head tilt but she can't walk properly; like shes drunkno trauma or toxins
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
gums look all good
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, I am thankful to hear that toxins and traumas aren't a worry here. As well, its positive to her that she has good perfusion, since anemia (low red blood cell levels) could certainly cause the signs we are seeing. With those aside, we'd have to consider middle ear infections but also brain lesions (bacteria, viral, protozoal, inflammatory, bleeds or tumors). With this in mind and since she does sound quite subdued (which we can see when they are under the weather but also if there is increased pressure on the brain), we would want to have Nug seen by her local vet at this stage. Antibiotics and rat safe anti-inflammatories can help treat the more treatable of these. If she responds, then we are happy. But we need to be aware that if she weren't to improve with those then a mass in the brain would be more of a concern and therefore her prognosis for recovery would be quite poor.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet and wish to find one, you can do so via http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm, http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html, or can seek our your local rabbit vet (http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/), as they too will often see our wee pocket pets as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I'll get her booked in. Thanks a lot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a perfect plan of action for wee Nug.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.