Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter, Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield

I dnt know ifu can help me or nt, We have a bunny..hes part

Customer Question

Hi pearl i dnt know ifu can help me or nt
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: We have a bunny..hes part new zealamd and lop
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bunny?
Customer: He normally eats lettu e and carrots daily with his pellets and the last few days he refuse to eat the lettuce ot carrots..however hes still eating his hay and pellets and drinking water
JA: Where does the bunny seem to hurt?
Customer: He is active and playful lime normal
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No everything seems to be ok with him thay i can nt home right now but hes been fine other than the appetite change
JA: Is the bunny eating normally?
Customer: As far as seed and hay yes but be wont touch letuce or carrots or i even gave him apples
JA: Is the bunny having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: But he normally begs for his lettuce and carrots and now he doesmt want it at all..
JA: How is the bunny behaving differently?
Customer: No nt that i can tell
JA: What is the bunny's name and age?
Customer: Chilly and hes nt even 2 yet
JA: How old is Chilly?
Customer: 1 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chilly?
Customer: No hes very spoiled and has been perfectly healthu
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Chelsea Pulter replied 18 days ago.

Hello! I am Dr. Pulter. I am reviewing your question. Please give me a minute to respond.

It is upsetting when our pets change habits and we are concerned for their welfare. Rabbits main diets should be pellets and hay. If Chilly is still eating those then I would continue to feed him this diet without the carrots and lettuce. Once he is eating the pellets and hay normally you can try adding in other items. Some times in rabbits if they have a decreased appetite it is important to have an exam with an abdominal palpation. It would help to determine if there is anything abnormal in the GI tract, such as too much gas, obstruction (furballs or others), or tumors. Make sure you monitor your rabbits drinking, urinating and defecating habits to share with your veterinarian. Please respond with any other questions you may have. I am not able to diagnose or prescribe treatment on this modality.