Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

My tropical fresh water fish has red area around rod of side

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: my tropical fresh water fish has red area around rod of side fins on both sides
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the fish?
Customer: that is already 3rd time foe last 6 month. I treated them with furan-2 . that help but then he has it again. and he is not eating and just lying down
JA: What is the fish's name?
Customer: yellow tropical fresh water. do not know exact name
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the fish?
Customer: water get cloudy last 3 days. I changed today and put solution to clear cloudy water . last time when he had red fins water was perfect and clear. and all standards were in norm . today standards were in norm too. I think clouds because of algae in the water. and also I'm think that cause of some bacteria. and I'm treating with furan-2 3rd time and that happening again, may be furan is not killing bacteria completely. there were no new fish, now tap water, all water after reverse osmotic filter or bottles water, no new plants ,
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 16 days ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish.I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Does only one fish have these symptoms?

How did you test the water - paper strips you dip in or test tubes with water samples?

Can you send a picture of the fish so I can see what kind it is? At the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon. Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as Then come back here and paste the link to your picture.