Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii

Well, its my aunts poodle. She is putting it down on Monday.

Customer Question

Well, its my aunts poodle. She is putting it down on Monday. I am trying to research it so maybe we can saver. I love animals and I feel here is more we can do.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the poodle?
Customer: Swollen belly, she is eating just fine but not retaining any of it.Other than her huge belly she nothing but boes. Sje was told it may be a tumor. She had an exray done.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: nala, I think she is about 12 years old. SHe is already put 2000 into her which is a lot ofr my aunt. The vet said there is a test she can to find out if its cancer but its expensive
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about nala?
Customer: she is still somewhat ative but seems to getting less and les weak. This started back in July
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Nala is certainly not doing well if she is vomiting and has a distended abdomen.

Without a diagnosis the vet can only do palliative treatment such as drain her abdomen if there is fluid. If there is a mass or masses a biopsy would indicate if these are malignant. I know that it is difficult to make a decision without a diagnosis. if finances are an issue that makes this more difficult.

Because this has been progressing for a number of months you have to think of what is best for Nala. Listen to your vet. Trust her recommendations.

It is always a difficult decision to euthanize a beloved pet. But it is the last kindness we can give them.

it sounds as if your aunt has already decided to put Nala to sleep. It has to be her choice.

I hope that this has helped.

If you have any questions we can continue. I am here to help.

If you feel that we are finished kindly rate this service.

Another thought: if the mass was not malignant Nala would still need surgery to remove it. And that would be very risky with her poor condition.

Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 16 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Marta Lepes