Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My oranda floats straight head up even gasps for air after

Customer Question

My oranda floats straight head up even gasps for air after eating
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the head's name and age?
Customer: He is a cap head and his wen is large, he went thru hard times with flukes. He is 4 inches wide. I had to remove alot of worms then since he is black/orange his color has faded but he got a lot engery i don't know how old he is. I just got him ifrom next day koi
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the head can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the head's name?
Customer: I don't know his head named
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the head?
Customer: There is alittle white and yellow area on top of head. Also litte white pimples on the side of this wen, i guess this is regrow
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear your oranda is having some problems. Some additional information will be useful.

Have you tested the water? If so, what results did you get for ammonia and nitrites in parts per million (ppm)?

Are there other fish in the tank?

If possible, a photo of his head showing the white and yellow would be helpful. At the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon. Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as Then come back here and paste the link to your picture.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Can not load the pictures
Expert:  Anna replied 20 days ago.
OK. Were you able to test the water? If you don't have a test kit, you can take a sample of your water in a clean glass jar to most larger pet stores. They will test it for free. While you are there, also pick up some aquarium salt. If your water test shows any ammonia or nitrite, let me know and I'll tell you what to do next.If your water is good, it is likely that your fish is suffering from swim bladder disorder. The swim bladder is the organ that enables a fish to stay oriented in the water. When something goes wrong, the fish may float, sink, swim upside down, etc. These disorders are very common in fancy goldfish. There are a couple of things that may help the ailing fish. If it will eat, give it a couple of thawed out frozen peas with the skins removed. If the peas are too large, you can smash them between your fingers before putting them in. You should also add one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water. Most table salt contains additives that are toxic, so unless sodium chloride is the only ingredient, stick to aquarium salt.As for the color spots, they may be natural (for example scar tissue), or they may indicate a fungal or bacterial infection. Parasites could also be responsible. The salt can help with these things. If it doesn't, or if more such areas develop, you can treat with MelaFix and PimaFix (both sold in pet stores). They are safe to use together and with salt.If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your fish will be able to recover.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!
Expert:  Anna replied 18 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.