Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Our 5 year old bunny had become incontinent. She's lost

Customer Question

Hi, our 5 year old bunny had become incontinent. She's lost control and pools and pees everywhere. Has urine scald. Is not fixed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bunny's name?
Customer: BunBun :-)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bunny?
Customer: She's under a vets care, had some seizure-like instances in the last month. Would spaz out, then took about a minute or two "find her feet" again. Would hobble, unsteady, in a bit of a circle, then she'd be fine. E.C. Test was negative. Blood work was normal. Put her on 2 weeks of metcam in case of an ear infection. She has had one minor incident since the meds were finished. The incontinece started about a week after the first seizure-like incident.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 22 days ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Some additional information will be useful.

Has the vet tested her urine for infection?

Was she given anything besides the metacam in case of an ear infection?

Where was the test for E.C. done - sent to what lab?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Anna,
Thank you. She tested negative for a UTI a month ago when she first started having episodes. I collected the urine at home (saran wrap in the litter box) and it was tested within 2 hours. No infection.She was only given Metacam as antibiotics, and some anti-inflammatories for pain since her liver looked normal from blood work. I also gave her Benebac after members of the House Rabbit Society recommended it.We are headed to our local vet now and I'll get the lab name for the E.C. test. I believe the lab is on the East Coast?I'm very open to second opinions since our little BunBun is proving difficult to diagnose. I'll provide more info this evening. Thanks for your assistance.-Erin
Expert:  Anna replied 22 days ago.
Thank you for getting back to me, Erin. Metacam is a pain medicine, and not an antibiotic at all. You might want to also ask your vet about that. I'll keep an eye out for your additional information.Anna
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi Anna,
I got my meds mixed up, you are right. She did a 2 week course of Orbax.So we just got back. Turns out she has a fracture in her spine at the start of her tailbone. The vet surmised nerve damage that is causing the incontinence. He can't tell if the injury is old or new. (We are her 3rd - and final - owners.) If it's new, then perhaps it happened during one of her mystery neurological events where she flailed violently... :-(
We have Silvadene cream (spelling?) for her scald.Also had a dark spot in her lung. In case it's pneumonia, she's now on two weeks of Zithromyacin. I'll get more Benebac for her. And we have more Metacam. It could be cancer, he's having a radiologist look at it. She's lost more weight, down to 1.17kg from 1.3 exactly a month ago. And she's drinking excessively. So... Yeah...I figure I'll get some large puppy page to line her area with. Ever dealt with an incontinent rabbit? Any other advice to keep her comfortable?Thanks again,
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
puppy pads, not page.
Expert:  Anna replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for the update, Erin. When rabbits flail violently, it's very easy for them to fracture bones. They can do it even leaping around to play. I presently have one under veterinary care for a broken leg that occurred that way.The spinal fracture certainly accounts for incontinence. I've been fortunate not to ever deal with incontinence caused by anything other than infection. Antibiotics do clear that up. Your idea of the puppy pads is a good one. The pads will result in less urine on her skin. The Silvadene cream will help soothe her skin. The only other thing you can do is gently clean the area before applying the cream.The weight loss is concerning. Unexplained weight loss is often a symptom of cancer. However, other conditions, such as diabetes can also cause it. Drinking excessively can be a sign of diabetes or kidney disease. At this point, there is nothing else to do but wait for the radiologist's report. Your vet has prescribed all the right medications for the knowledge we hav now about her conditions.If it's not too much trouble, let me know what you find out.Anna