Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

I have 2 albino rats. In one of the rats eyes, instead of

Customer Question

I have 2 albino rats. In one of the rats eyes, instead of being pink, one of them has turned black and the other has started to do it too. The other rat eyes are healthy and pink. I just wondered why one of their eyes were turning black and didn't know if i need to get it seen to?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rat's name and age?
Customer: Brain is his name and he is about 5 months now
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about name?
Customer: When we got them we had to take both to the vets because they both had a serious chest and stomach infection. They were on anti-biotics for 5 weeks. Before brain's eye started turning black it leaked something black as well, we just wiped it away and his eye went pink again but now its turned fully black and he shuts it quite alot
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to help you.

Your Rats are perfectly normal. The are a Hybryd type of rat that we see that actually do have two differently colored eyes. One will be pink and the other will be black or ruby dark red. This link speaks about the the different colored eyes in these Rats:

I hope this puts your mind at ease. My goal is to give you excellent service and to earn a 5 star Rating.