Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

Skin allergies- licking his paw raw...gave him childrens

Customer Question

skin allergies- licking his paw raw...gave him childrens liquid alcohol free sugar free benadryl and forgot about the sorbitol and saccharin so am checking to see if its safe. he is 94 pounds and I gave 37.5 mg because i rmemebered about the other things in the lquid as i had no pills on hand
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: lab
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: read the first message
JA: What is the's name?
Customer: Gucci
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gucci?
Customer: no 8 1/2 years young and very healthy
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Sorbitol and saccharin are not toxic to dogs. However, Sorbitol may cause diarrhea. Probably the best thing to do is give tablets or capsules. At nearly 100#, he needs 100-200mg of benadryl. I would recommend a switch to zyrtec, however, as many people see little, if any, benefit from benadryl in allergy dogs. Zyrtec offers a much better result for pets. Dosages:

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: