Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a Guinea pig and she is my first,about 1 1/2 months

Customer Question

I have a Guinea pig and she is my first,about 1 1/2 months ago when I bought her I put her in the same cage with my son's who we thought was also a female but turns out is not and mine was bread ...about 2 weeks ago I took her to my local vet and they did an xray but said they could not tell if she was pregnant however in the last couple days I have noticed that I can see her nipples really good and it almost looks as if their is no hair right around them....I don't know what to do
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My n ame is Joan and I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

When the Vet took the Xray it was too early to show. Depending on the size of the litter, it can range from 67-70 days before a birth. From what you have said you have about another 30 days before there will be a birth. When a Guinea pig is pregnant they get very big and what is described as dumpy. A good diet is a must during the pregnancy.

Pregnant guinea pigs should be fed a mixed diet consisting of:

grass and/or grass hay, green leafy vegetables, small amount of vitamin C rich foods ie. citrus or kiwi fruit, a small amount of high quality commercial pellets.

It would be best for you to take the male out of the enclosure now before 50 days in. You also may ask the Vet to recheck with a sonagram as well as another Xray to be sure what is going on.

It is not unusual for a guinea pig to have problems during birth so best to know for sure that she is pregnant and have a Vet on call if needed.

This is a link on Pregnancy that may also help you: http://www.2ndchance.info/gpreprodprobs.htm

Joan