Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My fish stays on top of the tank and doesn't move. Only

Customer Question

Hi my fish stays on top of the tank and doesn't move. Only moves when I move the tank. He has a curved body and it looked his head is really big and his stomach is really skinny from the top. He also has patches of white on his head and dark things around his gill.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It's head also floats and the tail drowns.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 25 days ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

It appears that your fish has multiple problems. If he is over 2 years, this could be related to old age, and there may be nothing you can do about it. If he's younger than that, the first step is to test your water. If you find any nitrites or ammonia, let me know and I'll tell you what steps to take. If you don't have a test kit, most pet stores will test water for you if you bring in a sample in a clean glass jar.

If your water is fine and the fish is young, you can try treating. I would use a combination of two medications sold in pet stores - MelaFix and PimaFix. Just follow directions on the bottles. You can also add one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water. Don't use table salt - it sometimes has toxic additives. The three are safe to use together.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I believe you deserve honesty. Some of the symptoms your betta has may indicate a disease that can't be treated. The curved body is especially worrisome. It can be a sign of fish tuberculosis, which is usually fatal. All you can do is try the measures I told you about and see what happens. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your fish will be able to recover.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I don't really know his age because I won him at a county fair.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have been using beta fix on him, he was fine for a day and he's worse
Expert:  Anna replied 25 days ago.
I just now received notice of your reply. I suspect your fish is either old, or has an incurable disease. However, the next step is to test your water. That's very important. After you do that let me know the results.
Expert:  Anna replied 24 days ago.
Hello again. I'm just checking in to see how things are going. Has there been any change in your fish's condition? Have you had a chance to test the water?
Expert:  Anna replied 21 days ago.
Hi Mia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Berra Fish. How is everything going?