Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a guinea pig that will not drink and or eat his hay

Customer Question

I have a guinea pig that will not drink and or eat his hay or pellets on his own but will eat pieces of carrot and bits of kale. I have been feeding him critical care fine grind for the past two days and he seems to thrive off of it..
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you and Rocket.

Can you tell me if pieces drop when he eats?

Any wetness under the mouth?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no pieces do not drop and i haven't noticed any wetness besides when i syringe feed him and it runs down
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Thank-you. When we hear of reluctance to eat hay and pellets, we have to consider a dental issue. Malocclussions and other dental problems are very common in Guinea pigs. Unfortunately the only way to see if this is the problems is a Vet visit with a Guinea pig savy Vet. They will need to do an Xray as well as an open mouth dental exam. This is some information on Guinea Pig Dental issues:

http://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

I am going to give you a link for Guinea Pig Vets that can treat this type of problem: http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

The Critical Care is great for emergency feeding, I would add a Vitamin C supplement to make sure Rocket is getting enough, since not eating properly.

My goal is to give you and Rocket help. I strive for excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating. For concerns, please hit reply.

Joan