Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

I have a pet rat she is about 1-1/2 years old and has

Customer Question

I have a pet rat she is about 1-1/2 years old and has stopped pooping. She is definitely not herself, very sluggish. Still eating but I don't think drinking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the rat. What is the rat's name?
Customer: Butterscotch
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Butterscotch?
Customer: Sort of walks in circles, thought maybe she hurt her arm. Balance is off as well. Not her usual excited self
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

Can you tell me about the habitat?

Any head tilt?

Any sneezing?

Is she urinating?

What type of bedding are you using?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is in a cage with paper bedding like she's always had.
We feed her fruits, vegs, cooked meat.
Doesn't seem as though she's urinating bc bedding is not wet right now. Definitely not pooping.
Not sneezing. Does seems to grind her teeth quite a bit more.
No head tilt.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

The Tooth grinding is a pain sound. So something serious is going on. We need to get some food and fluids going in because dehydration and lack of food becomes a serious issue. Please mix some Pedialyte infant electrolyte replacer with water 50/50 and syringe feed. For feeding some critical care that can be gotten at the pet supply is what you want to feed.It is balanced for Butterscotch. The walking with lack of balance could be from the middle ear so we ar looking at a possible middle ear infection or something going on like Ecunculi which is a parasite that can affect the Neurological system.

I think this is beyond any treatment we can do at home other than supportive care. I have to suggest a rat Vet as these animals are stoic and hide illness because they are a prey animal. I am going to give you a link for Rat Vets. In each blank please put Member. This will take you into a Listing by State: She is a senior Rat and we have to remember that when she gets ill at an older age she needs to be seen. Please hit reply for concerns.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

I wanted to check in on Butterscotch to see how she is doing. Please let me know if you had her seen and if she is doing better.