Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Budgies fighting last night one has injured leg or foot

Customer Question

budgies fighting last night one has injured leg or foot would not put on perch last night but will occasionally today. have put him in small cage for now. cannot get to avian vet as too far away and local vet wont see him. he is eating buy i dont know what else to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds but top of leg looks a little swollen
JA: What is the budgie's name and age?
Customer: Rio and i have had him for four months not a baby but young
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rio?
Customer: he has been well up until now
Category: Pet
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

If possible, please post a picture of the area on his leg that appears swollen. If the toes are able to grip on the injured leg and there is no obvious angle, then likely this is a soft tissue (muscular) injury. If any bones were broken, they do not typically start to bear even a little bit of weight within 24 hours. If you can, moisten the feathers along the top part of the leg to check for wounds. If any wounds are noted, take a small amount of soap and water and clean the area. You should thoroughly rinse afterwards, so no residual soap. It is unfortunate that the local veterinary hospital will not see him. If you would like to post your location, I can list a few local hospitals that will see birds. Feel free to continue asking questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a few days, even after rating my response. Take care.