Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist
2361900

I just took my 9 month old puppy for a walk and when she

Customer Question

I just took my 9 month old puppy for a walk and when she went poop I found fu little white maggots in it.. this is my first puppy and I'm wondering do I need to take her in and get some antibiotics what should I do? And also if you would know how she got them in her in the first place! Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: No other than that she's a healthy pup! She's been spaid and had her shots and also
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

The most common worms seen in vomit or feces is the roundworm and tapeworm. Tapeworms are normally seen in feces and resemble grains of rice while roundworms resemble spaghetti. Often people describe tapeworms as tiny maggots.

In some cases these worms are passed from the mother to the puppy, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.

For additional information about worms, see this site

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms.

You will want one with praziquantel in it if you go with an over the counter medication. It is pretty common for a dog to have worms again at this age, so I'd deworm your girl once now and again in a couple of weeks, pick up all feces in the yard and be sure she is on a good flea preventative and she should remain worm free for at leas a little while.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?