Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My guinea pig isn't eating or dinking, Cannoli 3 1/2 years,

Customer Question

My guinea pig isn't eating or dinking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Cannoli 3 1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cannoli?
Customer: I took her to the vet yesterday because she had blood in her urine. He put her on antibiotics however not much urine at all today since she isn't drinking
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years I would like to assist you and Cannoli.

Can you tell me what antibiotic they put Cannoli on?

Is the Antibiotic oral or did they give her an injectable?

What type of diet do you feed?

Do you give supplements?

Did they say it was a UTI?

Joan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They put her on Tribrisson Liquid 0.5 every 12 hours. We feed a diet of pellets, vegetables and fruit. She gets Vitamin C supplement. They said it was a UTi when I told him that she had bloody urine. Actually the not eating or drinking is worrying me more now. She has never been sick in all the time we have had her
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Thank-you! If you have Critical care in the house you can start that as a supplemental feeding. If not, please grind the pellets into a powder and add some Pedialyte/water mixed 50/50 to dilute into a slurry. You can syringe feed this. You can go to the side of the mouth and make a pocket and slowly inject into the mouth the way you do the medication. This shurry will help to sustain Cannoli. You can also give the Vitamin C diluted into the Pedialyte Mixture with water for fluids and also syringe feed. Vitamin C will help because it makes a poor environment for bacteria to thrive. Offer her fresh food and plenty of fresh hay. Keep encouraging her to eat. Sometimes an antibiotic can cause lack of appetite. I would also add a Probotic you can find at the pet supply called BeneBac. This will help aid the gut flora for appetite. My Goal is to assist you and Cannoli today. I strive for excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating from you today. If any concerns or questions please hit reply.

Joan