PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Mty Doig has given birth to 11 pups 9 living and the last 2

Customer Question

Mty Doig has given birth to 11 pups 9 living and the last 2 dead, stuck inbirth canal, She now has a sac hanging outside the vulva, Is this normal. I have never worked with female dogs before
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

In short, it's not uncommon for bitches to lose a few puppies with large litters. That said, we should not see puppies getting stuck in the birth canal without also involving a veterinarian in the care of said pet due to the risk to the mother's health. If mom passes away due to complications, that then leaves the owner to hand raise every single puppy she leaves behind.

That said, let's start with more info:

1) How long has the sack been protruding?
2) Is she pushing?
3) Is she caring for the other pups?
4) Can you see anything other than a sack?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After still births this AM.
Yes she is
no only sac

To clarify, this sack has been protruding since this morning?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I let her rest because she was exhausted.She is not in pain

Unfortunately, there's really no way to be sure that this is just tissue from afterbirth and not a sack containing another puppy which is now likely deceased having been in the canal for so long. I would recommend having her examined by a veterinarian promptly to determine:

1) what the tissue is
2) if a puppy is present in the birth canal
3) if more puppies are present in the uterus
4) what has caused her labor to stop of there are more puppies

If this is just tissue that she needs to expel, your vet can give her a shot to help with this. However, if this is a deceased puppy and more remain she is likely going to require surgery to extract them. With palpation and diagnostics, your vet should be able to give you a prompt answer on what needs to be done from this point forward. When you do take her in, bring the newborn pups along so that your vet can take a look at them too, if needed.

If you need help finding an ER that can see you, please post your city, state and zip code. The longer she goes without care the higher the risk to her health. If absolutely must wait, she needs to be examined by your vet no later than tomorrow morning. I cannot stress enough the importance of an ER visit for her health and the health of any remaining young.

Checking in, Mary. How is your girl doing?

Hi Mary M Ross,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?