Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My family and I just added two Guinea pigs to our family.

Customer Question

Hello, My family and I just added two Guinea pigs to our family. One of them has a crusty build up on the outside and inside of her ear. What is it possibly and what can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Guinea pig
JA: OK. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Princess and not sure on age the pet store did not tell us.
JA: How old is Princess?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Can you tell me if you see any discharge from the ears?

Is it one or both ears?

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Joan,It's only one ear, no discharge and it doesn't seem to bother her.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Thank-you! There is a possiblity that your Guinea Pig has more than one problem going on.
Symptoms of parasites or fungal infections are common coming out of Pet Shops. Guinea pig immune system usually keep it under control, but in Pet shops it can be a stressful situation, which allows issue to pop up and are not usually treated.
My concerns are a couple of possibilities. Mange mites are a very common parasite that guinea pigs get on their skin. They do cause severe itching, and if left untreated, could cause death by causing anemia.
Another parasite that is common in guinea pigs is ear mites. Ear mites will cause the guinea pig to have ear discharge and will usually cause crustiness and itching.
Fungal infections are another issue can cause a flaky, crusting appearance anywhere on the body including the ear flaps.

With this information, I suggest a Guinea Pig savy Vet examine your Guinea Pig and treat as needed. This is a link for Guinea Pig Vets:

My goal is to assist you and your Guinea Pig to feel better. I strive for excellent service and to earn your 5 star rating today. Forb questions or clarification please hit reply.

Lastly, some guinea pigs are prone to excessive wax build-up, but this is usually seen inside the ear.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

How is the Piggie doing? Did you have her seen by a Vet?