Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

Have two re-homes Shih Tzu's, since May. Always ran to the

Customer Question

Have two re-homes Shih Tzu's, since May. Always ran to the bowls at mealtime. The last few days, just sniff and walk away. Only eat carrots and cheese or a treat, Haven't changed their dog food.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill I need to ask a few questions to get a better feel for what might be going on. Thank you.

How old are the dogs?

What food do you feed?

Any meat, cheese or marrow bones?

Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

Are either one of them on medications?

Is there anything that they could have gotten into in the past two weeks?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ages 8 and 13 Cesar (what they were being fed before we got them) Just small pieces of cheese for snack No vomiting or diarrhea Older one needs eye drops, in one eye, twice a day. Don't recall them getting into dogs

thank you for answering the questions. It is good that they are not vomiting. It sounds like they may have gastrointestinal upset and can't quite stomach the thought of eating. I would stop giving any cheese. Dogs can be lactose intolerant and cheese can cause pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Pancreatitis can manifest as loss of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea and can be very mild to severe. To help settle their stomachs, you can safely give them Pepcid AC 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight by mouth once daily. If they are still not eating well by Monday, then I would take them to your local veterinarian for a physical exam.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why does one eat being hand fed? They seem to want table food.

I think that is the nature of wanting to be taken care of. I find that sick animals in the hospital are more inclined to eat when hand fed. It is a way of nurturing and showing affection. Table food is typically higher fat than dog food, to it is preferred, but not as healthy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I give them table food?

Absolutely not. I would feed them a good high quality food, like Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, California Naturals, Acana, etc. They need a complete and balance diet in order to stay healthy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I still use up the cesar....they told me to give them just beef fillets.?

Cesar's is not a great full time food. I would try to find a more nutritious diet that they both like.